Bodybuilders know “pumping iron” challenges their muscles to the point where they get stronger and stronger, the more they use them. The same is true with your brain. I learned this ‘pumping mental iron’ technique from Brian Tracy, he calls it Mind Storming and it really works!
I learned the Mind Storming technique from Brian Tracy’s Ultimate Goals Program; the premise is that you state your goal in the form of a question then ‘mind storm’ 20 answers to that question. Mind storming in similar to brainstorming, except you need at least two people to brainstorm, you can mind storm alone.
Use mind storming regularly. Define your goal in a form of a question and write out 20 answers to it.
~ Brian Tracy
How to Use Mind Storming
Regular practice of mind storming not only gives you great ideas you can put to use to achieve your goals, but it also challenges your brain making it stronger. The more you exercise your brain the more effective your mental powers become.
- Take out a pen and a blank sheet of paper. Use paper instead of a computer. There is something special about hand writing your answers out with a pen or pencil. It helps to make connections in your brain that would otherwise not form.
- Write your top goal in the form of a question at the top of the page. Your question should be specific, and time bound for example “How can I double my income to $100,000 per year by December 31, 2012?
- Then write out exactly 20 answers to the question.
- Do not judge your answers. Do not put any thought as to how practical or possible an answer is. That part comes later. We are trying to get as many ideas out on paper to consider later.
- Your first 5 to 10 answers will be easy, like work harder, longer, sell more stuff, etc.
- As you press on, the 10 answers will be much more difficult. This is where the magic happens, keep going.
- Once you have 20 answers, then and only then, qualify them.
- Optionally, choose the best answer and form it into a question and repeat the process again
- Choose the best answer and get to work on it right away.
- Rinse and repeat the process often.
Discover the Idea of a Lifetime
If you do this mind storming exercise every day, five days a week, for 50 weeks a year and generated one great idea per day, at the end of one year you will generate 250 new ideas! Do you think you would increase your likelihood of success if you practiced mind storming on a regular basis?
What if you discovered the idea of a lifetime? Even if you never had the discovery of a lifetime 250 new ideas would be useful! But what if you only came up with 100 or 50 or just 10 ideas? Do you think that could still make a difference? It certainly is worth a try don’t you think? Here are some practical uses of mind storming.
Seven Practical Uses of Mind Storming
- Improve your business
- Accumulate wealth
- Enhance relationships
- Learn new parenting skills
- Become a better athlete
- Lose weight
- Run a marathon
Mind storming is an exciting way to work on goals and problems of all kinds. The more you practice it the better your results! Then, by taking action, you can make your dreams become reality! But, don’t just take my word for it, go ahead and try it yourself, it just might work for you too!
Here are three things you can do immediately to put these ideas into action.
- Choose a relatively small, but important goal or problem.
- Use the mind storming exercise to generate 20 answers.
- Choose the best answer, and put it into action immediately, then work on it until it is complete!
Have You Tried Mind Storming?
Tell me how you have applied Mind Storming to your business and personal life! Did it make a difference? Did you get stuck at 10? I’ve love to hear about it!