Today I reached a milestone worth celebrating! This morning I went for my usual 30 minute daily run and, as usual, I recorded it using a phone app. When I completed my run 30 minutes later I checked my mileage for the month and noticed I had hit 450! That’s 450 workouts, 125,866 calories burned and 854.9 miles since I started recording October 11, 2010!
Each day I set aside time to run in the morning before I start my day. I run most days and take only a few days off here and there to rest and inclement weather.
Heck, last winter I ran every day, one day it was a blizzard! That day I walked in snow up to my knees! So how do I keep it going?
Here are Five Key Moves to Keep it Going
- Record workouts to keep you motivated. When I first started exercising I read you should make a journal of your workouts so I found a cool app for my Droid called CardioTrainer Pro. I just turn it on and it uses GPS to record my pace, tells me how I’m doing in 1 minute increments and even plots a map of where I went.
- Challenge yourself to run every day or at least a minimum amount each week or month. I set a goal of 60 miles per month. I am on a 6 month streak at the moment, and am keeping it going.
- Start off slow. I started out walking at about 16-18 minutes per mile, and gradually increased to about 14 minutes per mile. Then this fall my fitness trainer told me to start interval training. I walk for 2 minutes at a pace of 13:40 per mile and then run for 2 minutes at a 9:40 per mile.
- >Set new goals. Today I increased my intensity to jog for 2 minutes at 13:40 then run for 2 minutes at 9:40. This will increase the mileage I run for a 30 minute workout. My goal is to run 5K in less than 30 minutes.
- Think about your ‘WHY’ often. The ‘reason why’ I am doing this is to live longer so I can be there when my kids need me most, to set an example for them and my family proving that they too can do whatever they put their minds to, and I made a commitment to get fit and stay healthy for the rest of my life!
What is the Next Milestone?
The next big milestone is the 1000 mile mark. I should reach it by mid March of this year. Meanwhile, I will also be tracking and achieving these small mile-marker goals:
- Reaching my 500th workout in early March
- Keeping my 60miles per month streak going
- Tracking my food intake
I am also learning about nutrition so I can eat healthier, I’ll be writing about what I find out there too!
Over 50? What are you doing to get fit and stay healthy? I’d like to hear about it, please enter your comments below!
Suggested Reading from the 30 Day Blogging Challenge
This Post ” Thought Plantation-Sow your First seed for Wealth and happiness” discuss about the basic principle for fixing our mindset to achieve our goals and their purposes.
Want people to respond more favorably to your communications?
Change the way you speak. It can be as simple as shifting the source
of your voice. It takes minutes to learn and a few seconds to do.
Sometimes a motivating quote is all you need to dig deep and get that burst of creative energy you need to push you past the next roadblock. Discover 10 awesome and motivating quotes to help you lay your ‘perfect brick’ today.