The Doctor Said You Are Obese!
“At least you are on paper!” he said. After hearing about my brother David’s stroke I decide to schedule my annual physical. My doctor went over the results. He calculated my Body Mass Index (BMI) and said it is merely a guide and body type and other factors, ultimately, determine which category you fall under.
My score was 30.7, which is in the obese category, just barely. Even though I have lost 20 pounds so far, I need to lose another 20 pounds, at least! I was stunned! My blood work also revealed I was not eating right! He asked me…
What are you eating?
I had made some adjustments to my diet, especially for lunches at work. I ate a decent breakfast; I cut out fast food lunches, reduced eating out for lunch, and often ate a grilled chicken salad for work lunches. Then I ate a normal dinner at night, and watched my portions. But once a week I would indulge my boys and myself in…
My favorite yummy pizza!
Jet’s Pizza, Large, Hand Tossed, with Pepperoni, Ham and a Turbo Crust!
For me this was another turning point. Exercise, quitting smoking and drinking was not enough. I guess everyone knows you should eat a healthy diet, exercise, get plenty of rest, and drink plenty of water, but I didn’t realize just how much a difference your diet makes (I know, I know, sometimes I’m slow a little slow, so sue me! ;-o)
So How DO You Eat an Elephant?
One bite at a time! It is one thing to get up an hour early and take a 30 minute walk, though. It is quite another to completely change the way you think about food, eat, shop for groceries, plan and cook. It is quite overwhelming! I decided to leverage off of what I already knew, and break it down into small steps and take it slow.
After all I am not in a race; my original goal was to get fit for life, not to look good at the beach (although that would be a nice reward! Note to self: add look buff at the beach to my rewards list) I am following these 7 steps to start eating healthy. They should for for you too!
7 Steps To Start Eating Healthy!
- Get help. My doctor already said it was okay to exercise and now he has referred me to a dietitian for a consultation. She recommended I bring a 3 day food log with me. I started logging my meals and this alone has been an eye opening exercise!
- Set some goals! I weighed about 185 pounds in high school. This is my target weight. The BMI thing says my ideal weight is below 180. I am shooting for 185, given my athletic build; I think that is more realistic. I will re-evaluate this once I get to 185 pounds and adjust accordingly. I will do this over the next 2 months or by March 20, 2012 to give myself something to shoot for,
- Make small changes. I love my mocha coffee in the morning! A friend gave me a single cup coffee maker and I love the convenience! I was drinking two cups before work each morning, with a spoonful of sugar and as much mocha creamer as it took to taste good. I am now using a sugar substitute and a low fat creamer, using the recommended serving. I cut coffee consumption at work completely. It was drinking 3-5 cups per day with cream and sugar (just not yummy mocha!). This cut alone will probably eliminate 200-300 calories per day from drinks, 5 days per week.
- Track food intake. Recording my daily walks keeps me motivated and it very easy to do. I just turn on the Cardio App on my phone while I walk and it records my activity. I started a daily food journal to track my food intake, and am testing an app from SparkPeople.com to track my intake, suggest recipes and create shopping lists.
- Set aside time to plan meals. This part will take some time and effort and it completely new to me. I will reduce TV watching to less than one hour per day and may eliminate it completely during the week, so I have time to plan.
- Get some exercise. This will be easier for me since I am already doing it but I will increase my activity by attending total body conditioning class at the YMCA twice a week, and will plan some weekend trips to the Y with my kids to get them involved in my activity as well.
- Reward yourself! I just love to dress for success! So, I reward myself with a brand new suit and clothes to wear to work. I will also get something for the beach to show off my new beach body!
This list is by no means a comprehensive one. Your situation be differ but these should help you get started. If you want to start eating healthier too, you should first consult your doctor to get the ball rolling, and then take action and get moving today!
30 Day Blogging Challenge Related Posts
This article is about the importance of content marketing in the field of entrepreneurship. Itâs about the key on how to make business more productive and on how to achieve the goal in a fast manner. Its all about content marketing.
This article gives meaning to what links failure to success. It gives the idea to any person who is in the journey of finding their way to success on how he or she may handle failure if the time comes. Itâs more on seeing the brighter side of life rather than suffering from it more.
Develop a little flexibility in thought through reading these
three points of view, and maybe even use that flexibility to work
towards your goals!